whitespace COMPANY whitespace SERVICES whitespace PRODUCTS whitespace PURCHASE whitespace SUPPORT whitespace CONTACTS whitespace Home whitespace Contact Us whitespace Site Map whitespace
whitespace
SUPPORT
whitespace
FORUM
whitespace
FAQS
whitespace
SUBSCRIPTION
whitespace
REQUEST ON-LINE
whitespace
whitespace

Technical Support Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert Options · View
TrevorJ
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:34:14 AM

Groups: Registered

I see the timer job in the ULS log running. It fails to generate any email alerts to the users that meet the criteria. I tried on a second farm as well with the same results. What's the best way to troubleshoot?
stets
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:26:21 PM

Hello Trevor,

1) Please open Central Administration --> Monitoring --> Timer Jobs --> Check job status and find ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert Job for target Web Application in History section and check job status. If it fails, then find errors in SharePoint LOGs (it is placed by default here:%Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS)

2) Password expiration alert will be sent for users for which
[Last Password Set] + [DOMAIN.MaxPasswordAge] - [TODAY] < [Password Expiry Warning Period].
For testing results, you can increase [Password Expiry Warning Period] setting in Password Expiration Settings page and then manually run job (Central Administration --> Monitoring --> Timer Jobs --> Review job definitions --> find Password Expiration Alert of target Web application --> Run Now). Also it is required then SharePoint user has e-mail.

3) Please check if Password Expiration Web Part displays warning message for this user on Web site.

Please let me know the result. It will really help us to investigate the problem.

Best Regards,
Yura Stetsuk
TrevorJ
#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 6:38:39 PM

1. The job successfully completes. I see the following in the logs repeatedly I assume for each user with the name "Timer Job ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert":
A. Setting database session for {87539b2b-3efd-41a4-a6d4-f458090d8619}.
B. ConnectionString: 'Data Source=st02-sq00.****-***.com;Initial Catalog=WSS_Content;Integrated Security=True;Enlist=False;Asynchronous Processing=False;Connect Timeout=15' ConnectionState: Closed ConnectionTimeout: 15.
C.Determining if the current user is a SharePoint Farm Administrator.
D. Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id {9F8159E1-BC28-4465-A4CC-68F8CED0E3C2}

2. The email alerts for the site work. The email account needed I assume would in our exchange system for the one listed as the E-Mail from: in the "password expiration settings"? The account I have listed does have a Exchange account. Email setup in Sharepoint is juste pointing to our exchange smtp server.

3. The account used doesn't get an error on the web part but the account doesn't have a password expiration so I don't see any message about when the account password will be expiring.

It seems like everything is working except the generation of the emails. Is their any way to test that output to say a file instead to exclude email being the problem?
stets
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:12:37 AM

1. OK

2. We use standard SharePoint mechanism to send e-mails. So, It is required to set Outbound SMTP server of Outgoing E-Mail Settings in Central Administration.

3. Please confirm, that there is user in the target SharePoint site collection, for which the following is true:
0 < [USER.LastPasswordSet] + [DOMAIN.MaxPasswordAge] - [TODAY] < [Password Expiry Warning Period]
which means that his password is not expired yet and it will be expired not more than in Password Expiry Warning Period.
[USER.LastPasswordSet] - Date, when User last password is set in Active Directory
[DOMAIN.MaxPasswordAge] - Maximum password age value of Domain Password Policy
[TODAY] - Date of job running
[Password Expiry Warning Period] - Password Expiry Warning Period in Password Expiration settings of site collection.

In testing or development SharePoint environment, you can increase [Password Expiry Warning Period] value in Password Expiration settings to check if it is working for your account (you can even set this value to [DOMAIN.MaxPasswordAge]).

I guess, that if the account doesn't have a password expiration message on the web part, then password is not about to expire. So, in this case, Password Expiration Alert will not be sent for this user.

In any way, we will add ability to test Password Expiration. We are planning to release it on the first half of next month.

Best Regards,
Yura Stetsuk
ArtfulBits SharePoint Development Team
johndoesovich
#5 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 8:53:18 AM

Any update on when this is going to be resolved?
stets
#6 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 10:52:49 AM

Hello,

Excuse me, please, for a huge delay.

We were able to reproduce this issue and we it was fixed.
Please, download Password Expiration v1.01 by following link:
http://www.artfulbits.com/products/sharepoint/password-expiration.aspx#Download

Please upgrade it on your SharePoint environment using our installer (Upgrade option or Uninstall and then install again). Also, it is required to reset SharePoint 2010 Timer service after upgrading.

Please let me know if this issue is still reproduced in your side.

Best Regards,
Yura Stetsuk
SharePoint Support and Development Team
TrevorJ
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:34:49 PM

It is working now BigGrin

Thank You!