How to Use
ArtfulBits Password Expiration Web Part product includes two components:
- ArtfulBits Password Expiration Web Part - the Web Part can be configured to display warning message that users’ password is about to expire or to force redirect them to the web page to change their password
- ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert - periodically this timer job reads user information in Active Directory to determine the password expiration date for SharePoint users. If user password is about to expire then it sends email notification with link to change password
NOTE: Password Expiration works only with Active Directory users and supports only one domain.
Password Expiration Global Settings
To give access for timer job and web part to read user information in Active Directory you should open "Password Expiration Settings" page
in your site collection (Site Actions --> Site Settings --> Site Collection Administration --> Password Expiration settings)
and provide Administrative Account that has right to read Active Directory user information.
- Domain - enter the domain name
- Account Name - enter the Account Name for the domain administrator who has read-only rights to Active Directory user information
- Password - enter the password for the Active Directory account
In this page you can also specify email notification settings:
- Password Expiry Warning Period - specify the number of days left till the password expiration date that you want email notification to be sent to users
- Email Subject and Email Body - specify e-mail subject and body. You can use the following template fields in email content: $DAYSLEFT$, $EXPIRATIONDATE$, $TODAY$, $USERLOGIN$, $USERNAME$
- Email From - specify sender’s address
- Email Bcc - specify administrator email to be notified about confirmation e-mails sent to users
Password Expiration Web Part
To use the ArtfulBits Password Expiration Web Part you must first activate "ArtfulBits Password Expiration Web Part" site collection feature and then add this web part to your desired page as any standard Web Part.
After that click on "Open the tool pane" link to edit the Web Part.
On Password Expiration Settings panel you can configure the following:
- Password Expiry Warning Period - specify the number of days left till the password expiration date that you either want users to be automatically redirected to the specified URL or to display password expiry warning message in the Web Part
- Automatically redirect users to password change page - check this option to automatically redirect users to the specified URL and type server relative URL to a web page where users can change their password or get instructions on how to do this
- Display password expiry warning message - select to display password expiry warning message in the Web Part. You can use the following template fields in warning message: $DAYSLEFT$, $EXPIRATIONDATE$, $TODAY$, $USERLOGIN$, $USERNAME$
Click "Click here to open Password Expiration settings page" link to navigate to Password Expiration settings page, where you can specify Administrative Account that used to read Active Directory user information.
Password Expiration Alert
To add "ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert" timer job to selected Web application,
administrator needs to activate "ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert Job" Web application feature.
By default, timer job runs weekly on Sunday at 2:00 AM.
You can modify the schedule by specifying when the timer job will run.
In order to do this please select Central Administration Monitoring Timer JobsReview job definitions:
Then click on "ArtfulBits Password Expiration Alert" link of target web application in Job Definitions table.
In "Recurring Schedule" section edit page you can schedule timer job to monitor users’ password expiration date.