History of Lviv
St. Andrew Church
probably is the most interesting church of the old Lviv. It is a part of the complex of ex-monastery of the Bernardine Order. This Order appeared in the same time with the Templar Order. The most monks were ex-soldiers. It was the reason of their aggressive character. The complex had been built in 1600-1630 by architects Paul of Rome and Ambrosij Prykhyl'nyj.
. The first Armenians arrived in Lviv in 13th century. The Ansemble of the Armenian Cathedral of the Assumption of the Saint Virgin combines Armenian and local design and techniques. Fine 14th and early 15th century wall-paintings are preserved in the interior.
Church of the Dominicans
, Muzeyna Sq. This Church was built in the middle of the 18th century (1749-1764). In architectural form the Church is reminiscent of several West European religious monuments. The interior of the church is richly decorated with magnificent Baroque vestment. Today it is also a popular venue for organ recitals.
Latin Metropolitan Cathedral
, 1 Catedral'na Sq. was laid down in 1360. The Cathedral took over one hundred years to build and was finished in 1481. That is why its architectural styles ranging from Gothic through Renaissance to Baroque.
The Chapel of Boims
is a Renaiscence monument, built in XVII century. It was built to order of Lviv's merchant George Boim in 1609-1615.
St. George Cathedral
, 5 Yura Sq. The Greek Catholic St. George Cathedral is a pearl of old Lviv architecture. It is a beautiful relic in the Rococo style.
The 220 steps of
, northeast of the city center, lead to the crumbling remains of a castle that is supposedly on the spot where Danylo founded Lviv. Here you'll find spectacular views of the city and the distant Carpathian Mountains.
The Town Hall
's tower has become a symbol of the city. There are four fountains with antique sculptures of Neptune, Adonis, Diana and Amphitrite around the Town Hall.
. Among the medieval Lviv's towers the Kornyakt's tower is the highest. It is 65,85 meter high. This is one of the best Renaissance monuments of Europe.
Dzyga Cultural Centre
, 35 Virmenska Street. A contemporary art gallery with a music hall and bar.
Black Stone House
, 4 Rynok square, was built in 1588 - three years after Italian Patio.
© 2005-2016 ArtfulBits. All rights reserved.